(Copywrite : Christopher Titze) / Shutterstock

Top 6 Types of properties in the UK

This time around I would like to enlist the types of properties and how they called in the UK as some of these represent unique styles of architecture, often with a story behind the name. Also, let me add, that many of these property these names are also used all over the world, especially in countries which used to be colonies of the former Great Britain.


A flat equals a condo or an apartment as terms generally used in the United States. A flat is situated in an apartment or residential building which is divided into smaller flats. The common shared areas generally include the staircase, a smaller garden, a cellar area and even a reception in some cases.

Detached house

This is like a single house often coming with a big garden which is divided into generally two separate living areas. It has tons of advantages to owning a full house (lesser costs for instance) and it still offers almost as much of a privacy as a normal house.


These types of houses are very similar to the upper mentioned detached house but they are generally smaller and they have a characteristic in which they are normally consist of multiple houses in one living area or district, located right next to each other. These houses cost less than a detached or a single house. In their looks, they generally look like a house cut in half with the two halves mirroring each other. Detached houses can be 1-2 and even 3 floored living areas, having their own yard and backyard areas. Many people build further extensions to them from the backyard area.


These are the typical working class townhouses which are long rows of shared homes, generally 2 floored, with everyone having their separate entrance doors, a small front terrace area and a backyard area. Each separate living area looks exactly the same.


Many people’s dream is to own a typical country home which is classically called cottage which is the name typically used for the traditional British country homes, especially those which come with a thatched roof. These houses have small windows and hardwood (oak) pillars are used to keep the structure in place. The modernized cottages now cost a fortune as they are very trendy to buy by the richer townspeople who decide to move to the country.


Not many people know that the word bungalow originates from the Indian word „bangla” which was used for houses which were built in Bengali style. As a result of British colonialism, the word bungalow is now used internationally referring to small houses with still have all the comfort which a home needs. Typically a bungalow is a single-level building often coming with light structure and used as a country escape by many in the UK. The word has also transferred in tourism as many hotels, especially in tropical climate offer high profile bungalows for their guests.